A 30-something with genetically missing teeth, impinging overbite, severely closed bite, 16 missing teeth, braces in 1986 & 2007, dental implants and three jaw surgeries undergoes 4th surgery. All these problems are due to an inherited AXIN2 genetic mutation.

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Preparation

I have spent some time getting myself mentally prepared for this surgery. I won't be doing much exercise besides walking. I won't be able to hold my daughter for a while or read her stories or have her sit on my lap. I won't be at the office, I won't be talking (I'm a BIG talker), I won't be responsible for a LONG list of things like lunches, shopping, laundry, dishes. This is scary for me. I like routine.

Tonight I put together five different outfits including socks in the closet for my daughter for daycare each day for next week. Each evening, I put out an outfit for her depending on the weather for my husband to dress her in the morning since he mainly does drop off. He really doesn't understand her clothes at all, bless his soul, so it is probably best that I do that.

On Archwired.com, there is a topic on the message board addressing what supplies people found helpful post surgery. The last few times I found Boost helpful for taking a few swigs when I have to take narcotics. It has to be really cold and the high protein kind for me to be able to find it palatable. Ensure tends to have too much sugar for me and I can't tolerate sugary drinks in general. I'm going to hit Target Friday night and buy:

liquid vitamins
Boost
dark hand towels (to use as bibs)
frozen cold packs
liquid Motrin
protein powder
frozen fruit

and stock up on Diapers and wipes for the toddler.

I already have soup and Vaseline, baby toothbrushes, soups, broth, ginger ale and figure I shouldn't buy too much because I like to get out.

Today I would say I'm much less panickly that I've been for a while.

1 comment: