A 30-something with genetically missing teeth, impinging overbite, severely closed bite, 16 missing teeth, braces in 1986 & 2007, dental implants and three jaw surgeries undergoes 4th surgery. All these problems are due to an inherited AXIN2 genetic mutation.

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Success!

Made it through surgery today. Extremely successful, doctors were very happy. Avoided needing bone grafted from hip, avoided vomiting, the biggest fears. Only real complication was nerve damage for the lower lip, which could result in permanent numbness. One significant outcome was a change in nose shape from pushing it up. Doctors said it was a very desirable look, one that people pay thousands for plastic surgery to obtain. Difficult to tell how everything will look in the end due to all the swelling, which will only get worse over the next few days. Will be in the hospital at least one night, perhaps two.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations! I'm so pleased it went well, and glad to hear that you didn't have to have the bone graft as I know that's something you really didn't want! Obviously as I'm pre-surgery I don't have personal experience, but from what I've read, having numbness doesn't bother people too much, so I'm sure that compared to the benefits you will get from the surgery, any numbness won't be too much of a disadvantage. Good luck with your recovery, I look forward to seeing some photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer - I am thinking about you, and praying for a speedy recovery from this. You are ONE BAD mamma jamma for all you have been through! I had no idea, the extent of all of this. Thank you so much for creating the blog for your friends and loved ones to find out the details. My favorite part is the quotes. :) If I had a dollar for every time my mother told me to get dentures in high school....! You will look amazing and be so much better off when this is all over. Best wishes to you and the whole family, from The Kammerzells.

    ReplyDelete