A 30-something with genetically missing teeth, impinging overbite, severely closed bite, 16 missing teeth, braces in 1986 & 2007, dental implants and three jaw surgeries undergoes 4th surgery. All these problems are due to an inherited AXIN2 genetic mutation.

Sunday, May 8, 2011

Almost 6 weeks post

I'm having a hard time today. My mouth is really sore. I'm a bit tired and thus I present you "the numbered post".

1. I have three big cankar sores just inside my mouth where my lips meet on the left side. It would be quite sore if I wasn't so numb. Apparently, that swollen flesh has been chewed on quite often. It's nasty. Tomorrow, I may call the resident and talk to him about what I can do.

2. My bite. I feel like my lower jaw is sliding all over the splint. When I was driving today I just kept grinding and grinding my lower restoration (where the four implants are). Then it becomes sore.

3. My lips. They feel like two numb pieces of flesh. They have still felt really numb lately and actually feel swollen. Maybe that is good, right? Does it mean feeling is coming back? Someone asked me if I had Botox in my lips? They are quite full.

4. Drool. Oh yes, I am still drooling. Mainly out of the corners of my mouth, even when it is closed. Especially when I am bending or laying down. I just put on a new shirt 45 minutes ago and there is a large circle of drool on it. This should be fun when I go back to work this week.

5. Nose. It just plain hurts today. The piece of flesh between my nose and upper lip hurts a lot today. Especially when I touch it. (I know, don't touch it).

6. Saturday night I went to a wedding. It was lovely to get out and I was very happy for the couple. I put on makeup for the first time in six weeks. Wow. It was uncomfortable to put concealer under my eyes. And lipstick. I couldn't really get the lipstick on because of the numbness and the swelling. IT was SO WEIRD. But it felt great to be normal again. The bad part is that between my gluten free diet and my chewing issues - there was nothing I could eat. NOTHING. I went hungry at a place where people were eating plates of food. The chicken, roast beef, rolls, potatoes and caesar salad all had gluten in them (I doubt I could have chewed them anyway). The veggies were very firm and I couldn't chew them at all. The wedding cake had gluten. When I got home I had a little cheese and a piece of soft bread.

7. The more I talk the more I my mouth hurts and my throat actually. This should be fun when I go back to work this week.

8. Three more days until I get my SPLINT REMOVED!!!! WEDNESDAY MAY 11th is PARTY DAY!!!

9. My smile. When I try to smile it looks like I had a stroke or something. Only half of my mouth moves. It is lopsided and looks so weird!!!

Happy Mother's Day Everyone!

1 comment:

  1. I just saw your post on my blog. YOU are the true hero. Nothing that I've gone through has been nearly as intense as what you've been through. I have nothing but admiration for how gracious and patient you are. I will be following your recovery, and sending warm wishes your way. I look forward to staying in touch.

    ReplyDelete