A 30-something with genetically missing teeth, impinging overbite, severely closed bite, 16 missing teeth, braces in 1986 & 2007, dental implants and three jaw surgeries undergoes 4th surgery. All these problems are due to an inherited AXIN2 genetic mutation.

Monday, May 2, 2011

5 weeks!

I am starting to feel like me again! Yay and thank goodness for that.

Last Wednesday I went to the Oral Surgeon for my one month checkup. It wasn't the best appointment. Things were very rushed. The resident came in, asked me if I was back to work (Uh no, you wrote me off), took a quick look and said the right side of my lower jaw was not in the splint, and was a Then he came in and was very nice. He thought my nose looked really good and my upper lip did too. I was still drooling and had a towel around my neck which he noticed. He hoped that would stop very soon. Have to keep splint in for another two weeks :( The hope was to get it out earlier, but no go. He looked at my bite and didn't say much. They said after the splint comes out, I am to go immediately to the Orthodontist.


I'm eating like crazy now. I don't puree anything except smoothies. Usually have some chopped up egg beaters for breakfast and finely diced bananas with peanut butter. Lunch is usually refried beans, rice, salsa, and guacamole. Dinner is usually tilapa and mashed potatoes and some (gulp) light ice cream. I need to eat more veg though. I get in eating ruts.

Been feeling stronger, trying to walk a little bit and more around more. Still get tired easily. I do something like load the dishwasher and maybe sweep the floor and then have to rest. Still taking iron which I think is a big help.

My nose is less numb now - probably 40%, mostly around the nostrils. My lips have been burning and tingling like crazy. They are probably 60% numb. Whenever I drink anything cold, they buzz and burn and hurt. It's not painful, just....weird. My chin is still 80% numb. It hurts quite a bit at the end of the day. :( I'm still drooling, mostly when I bend over or have just drank something. Last night I was up in the middle of the night with severe ear pain. I tried to chew some chicken at dinner and I think it was just too much for my jaws. Because I had to drive V to school in the morning, I just took Ibuprofen and thankfully conked back out.

1 comment: